The mission of The Institute for Sexual Health (ISH): Practice of Dr. Omar Minwalla is to help people and society move towards sexual health by advancing human rights over sexual entitlement and sexual oppression.
ISH: Practice of Dr. Minwalla offers highly specialized psychological services and cutting-edge education related to the assessment, evaluation and treatment of sexual acting out problems (sex addiction or compulsive sexual behavior, patterns of infidelity), integrity and conduct disorders, intimate partner abuse and the resulting traumatic impact and symptomology on others.
ISH education aims to reconcile the current “debates” about sex addiction by advancing education and a clinical treatment model that recognizes the mistakes and limitations of traditional treatment models for sex addiction, while also recognizing a serious clinical disorder that requires clinical diagnosis and treatment, rather than simply a “denial of sex addiction”.
- ISH utilizes a theoretical approach and clinical treatment model that recognizes and promotes sexual health as a conscious process towards integrity, intimacy and integration.
- ISH utilizes empirically based methods that conform to the standards of care established in the field of psychology and adhere to the guiding principles set forth by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- ISH programming and model is informed by the American Psychological Association’s (APA) Guidelines for Psychological Practice with Girls and Women (2007).
- ISH is dedicated to a non-judgmental and non-stigmatizing approach to the treatment and of human sexuality, human relationships and sexual health concerns.
- ISH aims to protect the human rights of, and provide quality and informed services for, marginalized, stigmatized and persecuted sexual and gender populations, such as erotic minorities or partners impacted by intimate partner abuse.